Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Innaugartion Day 2009....A letter to Leah


Dear Leah,


There have been many new ways that I now know I am a mom. One happened today and I wanted to share it with you. I woke up this morning so excited and proud to watch Barak Obama become the President. Both the inspiration I have felt and the historical context made this day one that I knew I would remember forever. I have always been into politics , history, and social change for the good. I can remember being a little girl and wanting to join the Peace Corp. But with all of the excitement and anticipation about todays's events...all I could think of was you. First off.....I just wanted to spend the day with you. I couldn't , which made me sad but it was really important to me that you see it ( even if you have no clue what's going on). And mostly, all of this hope and change made me think about how much I care about your future, the world you live in, and who will be your role models. Obviously I think it's amazing that the year you were born, a man born to white woman and black father became our President. I think before this event happened I would have always told you "yes, you can" but now it just has such important meaning. So hopefully one day you will grow into a socially conscience , bright, and inspring young woman and you can say ......I saw the day this happened. For me it just puts what is really important to me into perspective. I love you more than anything and hope your future is filled with all the possibilities you can dream of.


Love, Mommy